Sunday, April 28, 2013

Super easy laundry soap recipe!

I've been making my own laundry soap since before I even went vegan (over 5 years ago, in case anyone has forgotten) and have always loved doing it (or at least that I do it, I am quite lazy). I love being able to take pride, even just a little bit, in doing things for myself. Not to mention having control over the ingredients in the things that I put in or on (yes, even though it's to wash your clothes it's still there and eventually on your skin which is our biggest organ-teehee) my body is just smart with there being so many too many toxic things on sale for public and regular use... yeah, I could go on this rant for a while.
But I won't.
The recipe I used previously involved castile soap, which meant lots of grating if I wasn't able to splurge on the liquid stuff. It also involved a big bucket or taking the time to cook it a big pot on the stove. But now... NOW... thanks to the amazing and super awesome Sadie from AllNaturalMe.com I have found the easier answer that lazy butts like myself love to hear...
There is an easier way!
I did have to tweak some things, as usual, so here is my version:

Easy Laundry Soap (32 to 64 loads - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per load)
6 Tablespoons Borax
6 Tablespoons Washing Soda
16 cups water - boiling or just about that hot
4 Tablespoons eco-friend dish soap (I currently am using Seventh Generation's Lavender Floral & Mint)
1 gallon jug (or a bit bigger, I am using one of the large glass apple juice jugs from Earth Fare- apple juice already finished off, of course)
A funnel definitely will make things easier, and make sure your measuring cup can handle the super hot water. Having at least an oven mitt, maybe a pot holder as well, never hurts.
I add a couple of cups of the water (after boiling in my teapot on the stove) in the jug first. Sometimes this just makes it easier to keep things mixed. Remember to pour slowly so you don't spill because this is going to get hot. Then I use the funnel (ok, it's the cut off top part of a 1 liter soda bottle, so it's not suitable for the boiling water but you may have a funnel that is... so use it!) to add in the powder parts. Swish to mix it all up, remember this is going to be hot so the oven mitt/pot holder can come in very handy. At this point I start adding in the rest of the water, but like to dissolve the dish soap in with one along the way. I think things mix a bit better this way. When the jug starts to get full you may want to go slow to help prevent any over flow.
I use an old scoop from something that just happened to be about 1/4 cup in size to measure it for each load, and I do feel like my clothes are a lot cleaner than with my previous recipe. Feel free to add any essential oils you may like, but depending on the dish soap you may not have to (I didn't this time, but sometimes love how the smells do fill the house while I'm washing clothes).

You could use this right away, but remember the water was boiling not long ago (aka IT WILL BE HOT) and some clothes don't like hot water.
And here is the link to the original post by Sadie

I still use the same "fabric softener" recipe, with a bit of a tweak.
But if you don't already know what happens when baking soda and vinegar get together, you are going to learn now.
Super Easy "Fabric Softener"
One part baking soda
One part white vinegar
Two parts water
Whatever essential oils I feel like using when I'm making it.
Funnel & a glass bottle to store it in
I first add in the baking soda. This will settle easily and will have to be shaken from time to time. Then I add in the water that I have dashed in about 30 drops of whatever essential oil or combo of essential oils I feel like using (today it was 20 of sweet orange and 10 of tea tree oil -always a good choice- or so, I am sure I lost count). Then you SUPER SLOWLY ADD THE VINEGAR. Seriously, go slow or you will have a mess. Your counter will be super clean when you are done, but it will be a big mess.
I use this with my Downy Ball (have had this thing FOREVER and it is a huge help since my washer doesn't tell me when to put the fabric softener in) as I would the store bought kind.
Please don't expect this to act like store bought fabric softener. It's mainly great for prevent static cling and helping to add a fresh scent. I don't think anything home made can do what the store bought stuff can do, but I love my clothes and adding a chemical that weakens the material of my precious clothing... no thank you.

I'm always interested in learning more, so if you guys have any tips or tweaks of your own you would like to add - or even a great recipe to share - please do so in the comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment